Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Rice Pudding Update

Well, I've tasted the rice pudding as has my friend Dr. Freud. (I wonder if she'd like that I've named her Dr. Freud...) We both concur. It's yummy. The only thing that I might've done differently was use more cardamom.

Should you decide you want to make the cardamom-rosewater version, you want to add 2 tsp. of rosewater when you add the vanilla at the end. A lot of the recipes I checked out online used significantly more. Some of them had more rice, but still. I think 2 tsp. is plenty. Oddly, the rosewater makes it seem a lot sweeter. Maybe that isn't so odd. I don't know. At any rate, I think I used only 1 tsp. of cardamom, but I'd use more if I were you. I did use some cinnamon as well because I'm a sucker for it. It added up to about ½ tsp. You could use more of that, too, if you wanted to.

Finally, a note on the brown rice. It didn't affect the taste too much, though I did add 2 tblsp. extra sugar to the orginal recipe, but I did notice that the rice grains weren't soft as with other rice once the pudding cooled. You really do bite them and chew on them. If that isn't something you mind, brown rice is healthier. It might be the only healthy thing about this dish, as a matter of fact. However, next time, I think I'll try to use white rice. Then again, this is made from rice leftovers, so it'll probably be made from whatever is in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment